Search This Blog

DXER Ham Radio DX News

The latest dx news/current propagation and more. Visit mike's Amateur Radio Page at www.qsl.net/swlham

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Virginia ARES

I’ve been interested in looking at volunteering for my local ARES group. However I’m not quite sure what’s currently going on with it.

I went to the local hamfest about 2 years ago and they had a ARES forum. I thought great that give me a chance to see what it’s all about. Instead there was a room with about 50 really pissed off people. I couldn’t understand what was going on but something to the effect that a high up guy retired and no one has appointed a successor and there’s no communication going downstream so everything stopped.

There was talk of setting up another website and forming a new ARES chapter, etc… They didn’t want anyone joining until they got this new website/chapter setup. So I put my name on the list for email notifications. After about 6 months the weekly/monthly emails just stopped and the person sending the emails stopped being involved.

I finally decided to get back into the hobby full steam and wanted to look into it again. After a bit of Googling I’m finding a few things.

VCAP ARES – You can tell the way they wrote their closure notice they were disgruntled.

This

ARESVA – This appears to be a more up to date site. But even the wording on it says things aren’t working very well.

Does anyone know what’s up with VA ARES particularly in SW VA?

submitted by /u/elitegoodguy
[link] [comments]

from RSSMix.com Mix ID 8212326 http://ift.tt/2gFjUhz
via IFTTT


No comments:

Post a Comment