Search This Blog

DXER Ham Radio DX News

The latest dx news/current propagation and more. Visit mike's Amateur Radio Page at www.qsl.net/swlham

Friday, November 25, 2016

Am I Too Young for HAM Radio?

After getting my license and being on the air for several months, I’ve come to the conclusion that I just spent a lot of time and money to have, what amounts to, awkward and meaningless conversations with strangers. No, not every QSO is bad, and I’ve had some great conversations, but the bulk of them fall into one of three categories: Listening to a local weather report from a place I didn’t even know existed and care absolutely nothing about, learning about someone’s medical complaints and conditions, or being read an inventory of someone’s radio gear, usually in model numbers that mean absolutely nothing to me.

I’m not a bad person, but I just can’t even pretend to care about any of this stuff. I had hoped to meet and speak with interesting people about interesting things. Most of the people I meet on the air are considerably older than I am. Knew this going in – my dad and grandfather were both Hams. But man… I just feel like I’m in the day room at a nursing home when I turn my radio on.

Are there nets and reflectors where people discuss things other than ham-tech related topics? Like, well, anything? I don’t even care what it’s about. Auto racing, crocheting, mink farming. Just… anything?

submitted by /u/cy-27
[link] [comments]

from RSSMix.com Mix ID 8212326 http://ift.tt/2gIblFJ
via IFTTT


No comments:

Post a Comment