Search This Blog

DXER Ham Radio DX News

The latest dx news/current propagation and more. Visit mike's Amateur Radio Page at www.qsl.net/swlham

Sunday, November 13, 2016

Beginner setup for handheld SOTA activation?

I have been reading previous posts in regard to previous SOTA setups, and it seems like many posts recommend “box” type of tranceiver such as FT-817 or KX3.

However, I would prefer handheld due to its cost and lighter weight.

  1. What is the practical difference between handheld from Baofeng and Yaesu? Yaesu is $100 more expensive, so I am wondering what extra features that $100 bring, and if those would be worthy investment for beginners.
  2. I heard that antennas are more important than tranceivers. Some of the most recommended seem to be J-pole, yagi, and the one where you sling across a tree branch (what is this called?) If you could bring one antenna with you, which one would it be?
  3. I am generally afraid of making my first contact in SOTA as it seems to be more challenging than in a controlled environment since there are so many external factors that could interrupt the contact. Given the setups you have provided, how reliable would the contact be for the first timer? Should I just start from house and move up to SOTA? I live in the Bay Area.

submitted by /u/i-brute-force
[link] [comments]

from RSSMix.com Mix ID 8212326 http://ift.tt/2fPbRAR
via IFTTT


No comments:

Post a Comment