Search This Blog

DXER Ham Radio DX News

The latest dx news/current propagation and more. Visit mike's Amateur Radio Page at www.qsl.net/swlham

Tuesday, November 22, 2016

discone for digital satellites?

Here’s what I want to do: For a given group of amsats, contact each one automatically every time there is a good pass (above 45°, say). I built a hand-operated yagi that seemed to work pretty OK, but while I’m capable I’m not too excited about building an az/el tracker.

Here’s my altnerative thought: Discone. The gain pattern is toroidal, so I should get gain exactly where I need it–towards the horizon. Then when the sat is at high-elevation, I might not even need the antenna (or not the full gain? or maybe a secondary, also-stationary antenna?). That’ll give me maybe 5 minutes to do the data transfer.

Is this a do-able thing? I’m not trying to contact any tricky or low-power sats, unless those are my only choices. I just want to be able to send/receive digital data at a timely rate (a few times a day).

submitted by /u/end112016
[link] [comments]

from RSSMix.com Mix ID 8212326 http://ift.tt/2fNP5Jv
via IFTTT


No comments:

Post a Comment