Search This Blog

DXER Ham Radio DX News

The latest dx news/current propagation and more. Visit mike's Amateur Radio Page at www.qsl.net/swlham

Sunday, November 13, 2016

First ever net check-in

Tonight was the first time I made contact with my Yaesu FT-60. I checked in to a local ARES net. It was already in progress, so I was one of the “any other amateurs not on the roll call”

I was super nervous about saying something wrong, so I made bullet point notes about what to say. Pretty much I said “this is kamomil, in [neighborhood] and I have no traffic”

I got my license 15 years ago, and I have maybe spoken on the radio twice since then, so I am super excited and I want to check in next week or sooner if I come across another net. My first radio was an Icom IC2AT so it is pretty limited as far as repeater use. So this Yaesu is a big upgrade for me, it has PL tones and is both 144 and 440 mHz. I got it maybe 2 years ago but hadn’t had a chance to really use it.

I wasn’t sure how many repeaters I could hit with my FT-60 and its rubber duck antenna but I got a 599 RST tonight from the net controller.

submitted by /u/kamomil
[link] [comments]

from RSSMix.com Mix ID 8212326 http://ift.tt/2fPykOs
via IFTTT


No comments:

Post a Comment