Search This Blog

DXER Ham Radio DX News

The latest dx news/current propagation and more. Visit mike's Amateur Radio Page at www.qsl.net/swlham

Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Update on previous post, plus a new trinket.

A while ago I posted this question about an underground transmitter that would Tx sensor data over rtty for a short range. I was successful in building the device, although getting the data to convert to a character string was a PITA. Range is about 50′ line of sight from the underground location which is 3.5′ under ground.

However, since I bought several devices I decided to see what I else I could do. I ended up throwing together a small beacon to use when hiking or as a fox hunt type situation. It gets ~.33 miles range, even though the woods w/o an antenna. Right now it is set up for an emergency transmission, alternating between rtty messages and SOS in morse code.

On the back is a 500 mah lipo battery w/ a usb charging/power management module. I haven’t tested it long term yet, wanted to be in a more isolated area to do that, but it didn’t any problem broadcasting once per minute for an hour. The plastic covering is basically an un-lubricated condom that was trimmed to fit, and then the whole device was wrapped in paracord with a carabiner to hang on my backpack.

Probably never use it for an emergency, there are much better options, but I figure having another .5oz tool (toy) to use for about $14.00 isn’t bad at all.

Some photos of the device

EDIT: Just realized I posted this in the wrong subreddit! Still, it’s related so I hope you enjoy!

submitted by /u/abraxsis
[link] [comments]

from RSSMix.com Mix ID 8212326 http://ift.tt/2g1cBjH
via IFTTT


No comments:

Post a Comment