Search This Blog

DXER Ham Radio DX News

The latest dx news/current propagation and more. Visit mike's Amateur Radio Page at www.qsl.net/swlham

Monday, November 14, 2016

2800 miles with 4 Watt CW?

I’m a relatively new ham with no actual contacts yet, but over the weekend, I put out a CW CQ on 40 meters at just under 4 Watts and was picked up by a reverse beacon network skimmer on the other side of the country 2800 miles away.

Is that typical?

I was under the impression that my little qrp rig would most likely have an effective range of a few hundred miles barring some strange propagation phenomenon.

I was using this modified forty9er kit, with this 40 meter dipole.

I was able to pick up quite a few foreign stations at the time so was there something going on that was helping propagation over the weekend or is that sort of range typically achievable with that low power?

submitted by /u/sankacoffee
[link] [comments]

from RSSMix.com Mix ID 8212326 http://ift.tt/2f8JrOI
via IFTTT


No comments:

Post a Comment