I bought a DBJ2 antenna, the government pack from CountyComm. I wanted to use it with my Icom ID-800H as a sort of temporary base station setup. If I try transmitting at high power the radio detects high SWR and kicks the power down to the medium setting. Is this normal? For comparison I also have one of these Slim Jim antennas and when hooked up to the same radio it does not kick the power down. I realize that neither of these antennas may be well suited for 50 watts, so my question is more on whether this is normal for the DBJ2? The DBJ2 claims higher gain for UHF than other similar antennas without the UHF matching section. It would seem there is a tradeoff between higher UHF gain and higher SWR? I have also read that RF coupling may occur with the DBJ2, which the other slim jim addresses by using a ferrite bead near the feed point. Would it be worth adding a snap on style ferrite bead to the DBJ2? Maybe I am just overthinking things. I am wondering if the performance of the DBJ2 is really that great compared to the other slim jim that I linked to. I have not had a chance to put the DBJ2 on an analyzer either. Has anyone tried one of these Slim Jim with RG-58, and if so, what are your impressions? It seems to be similar to the DBJ2 with a UHF matching section, but it also incorporates a ferrite bead, so best of both worlds?
submitted by /u/Oxyacetylene
[link] [comments]
from RSSMix.com Mix ID 8212326 http://ift.tt/2fUETfN
via IFTTT
No comments:
Post a Comment