Search This Blog

DXER Ham Radio DX News

The latest dx news/current propagation and more. Visit mike's Amateur Radio Page at www.qsl.net/swlham

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Some legality questions from a guy who knows just enough to get himself in trouble.

My workplace (an elementary school) uses your run-of-the-mill FRS radios to communicate. Over the weekend, some folks were cleaning out the office and came across 3 radios that are not so run-of-the-mill–some Retevis RT-5RVs. They gave them to me, and I think they’re super cool. I tuned one in to the FRS channel my school uses and have been using it for a couple days. I’m also a volunteer firefighter, so I’ve been enjoying having a radio that I can also use to listen to the chatter on the county fire channels.

Now, with a new toy to play with, I wanted to learn some more. So, I went home and did some reading online and learned a lot! It’s super cool, I can see why all of you do this as a hobby. But, I also learned that I may have been breaking a rule or two by using a radio that powerful on an FRS channel. So, I wanted to ask the opinion of some actual people.

  • Did I read it right that I was breaking the law by transmitting on FRS channels using an 8W radio with a detachable antenna? Am I allowed to even use a radio like that without a license?
  • If so, is it something I need to worry about a ton? Is the FCC going to come pounding on my door to fine me? Or is it one of those laws that is on the books, but not policed particularly diligently?
  • It’s got an option to transmit on low power, if I do that will I avoid stepping on anyone’s toes?

I understand that stupid people like me who ask questions like this is the entire reason that licensure exists. I hope I’m not ruffling too many of your feathers.

Sorry for the ignorance, and thanks for the help.

submitted by /u/ceadmilefailte
[link] [comments]

from RSSMix.com Mix ID 8212326 http://ift.tt/2gd0PXv
via IFTTT


No comments:

Post a Comment